State Route 62 - Western Avenue(From Texas Ave. to Major Ave.), Knoxville
The purpose of the project is to improve the roadway, provide route continuity and correct existing route deficiencies including geometrics (vertical and Horizontal) and operations. In addition, implementing this project is considered necessary to serve the existing and future traffic demands on this section of the State Route 62.
Other benefits of the proposed action include:
- Route continuity by widening the existing two lane road to match existing four lane sections on each end of the project.
- Improve safety for pedestrian traffic flow in the area.
- Reduce congestion and improve safety conditions from increasing traffic volumes.
- Improve movement of goods and emergency services.
- Improve traffic flow to and from commercial areas.
- Provide improved access to/from Tennessee avenue to Knoxville’s Coster Rail Yards redevelopment project.
- The project is included in the Knoxville Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization’s (MPO) Long-Range Transportation Plan, Knoxville Urban Area MPO’s Transportation Improvement Program, and the Knoxville-Knox County Metropolitan Planning Commission’s Central City Sector Plan.
General Location Map (Project Limits)
Click here for larger pdf view
A Public Meeting was conducted on January 17, 2012. (Public Meeting Presentation) pdf