Project Purpose and Need
State Route 115 (US 129/Alcoa Highway) is an urban
principal arterial on the National Highway System. It is responsible
for moving traffic efficiently throughout the region, particularly
between the City of Alcoa and the City of Knoxville.
The following general goals have been used as guidelines for development of the proposed improvements:
- To develop the project so that it effectively and safely integrates into the regional and local street system
- To develop the project so that it will encourage safe integration and practical separation of through and local traffic
- To develop the project so that people and goods may be moved safely and efficiently, with minimum interference, to businesses, residences and activities within the project area
- To develop the project so that residents may move more safely and easily from one part of the project to another
- To provide adequate internal circulation
- To improve the safety of the existing roadway and eliminate or minimize deficiencies.