2006 TDOT Statewide Customer Satisfaction Survey
The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) completed its first statewide customer satisfaction survey in July 2006. The purpose of the survey was to determine satisfaction levels with the quality of our state transportation system and to help identify and prioritize the transportation services and improvements that are most important to Tennesseans.
The comprehensive survey consisted of three major components: (1) a Resident Survey, (2) an Elected Official Survey, and (3) a Benchmarking Survey with the eight states that border Tennessee.
Of the 6,000 Tennessee households that received the survey, 2,036 residents responded. A total of 208 elected officials participated in the survey, including 138 city mayors, 36 county mayors, and 34 state legislators.
The overall results of the survey were favorable. Most residents thought TDOT is moving in the right direction and a majority indicated that they trust TDOT officials to make good decisions. While the overall results of the survey were favorable, both residents and elected officials identified the four issues listed below as top priorities for improvement over the next two years.
- Repairing/maintaining existing highways and keeping road surfaces in good condition.
- Improving the visibility of striping at night and during wet weather.
- Improving drainage from the surface of highways during storms.
- Relieving congestion in urban areas.
It is our goal to use the survey results information to improve transportation services in Tennessee. We have identified two critical survey follow-up steps:
- Communicate the survey results to the public and to key customer groups.
- Identify actions to be taken to address the survey finding recommendations, focusing on the top four priorities for improvements.
The Customer Satisfaction Survey provides us with key information to better align the Department’s priorities with the needs of our customers. We plan to administer the survey every two years to assess progress and identify emerging issues of importance to our customers.
Click any of the following links for additional information on the customer satisfaction survey.
If you have any difficulty viewing these reports please contact the Office of Strategic Planning at 615.532.3507.
Note: Information on PDF Files
- Executive Summary (short)
- Executive Summary (short, in Spanish)
- Executive Summary (long)
- Charts and Graphs
- Benchmarking Data
- Importance-Satisfaction Analysis
- GIS Maps
- Resident Survey Data (Crosstabs by Region)
- Elected Official Survey Data
- Survey Instruments
- Focus Group Summary Report
- External Stakeholder Interviews Summary Report
- Internal Stakeholder Interviews Summary Report