The Geographic Information System (GIS) group is responsible for coordination and support of GIS development at TDOT. This support is directed toward identification of requirements for GIS capabilities, determination of data needs and data standards, and coordination of data sharing opportunities throughout the department.
The major responsibility of this group is implementing requirements of the 'Plan for Implementation of GIS at TDOT, focusing on:
- Support for the application of GIS technology throughout TDOT
- Performing requirements analysis studies for GIS needs
- Review and coordination of GIS integration with all TDOT applications
- Evaluation of GIS software
- Coordinating the development of training needs and staff development for GIS professionals
- Coordination of GIS activities with the State GIS Coordinator