Outdoor Advertising Control Program
James K. Polk Building, Suite 400
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0333
Connie Gilliam, Manager
The Outdoor Advertising Control Program requires the permitting of all off-premise outdoor advertising adjacent to the Interstate System, National Highway system and Federal-Aid Primary Highway System routes.
The Beautification Office controls outdoor advertising in accordance with Federal laws, statutory laws and state rules. Read the Rules and Regulations for the Control of Outdoor Advertising (PDF) for submitting an outdoor advertising permit application
To apply for an Outdoor Advertising Device Permit, the requirements are as follows:
- Provide a completed Outdoor Advertising Permit Application with check or money order in the amount of $200.00 (an application for each sign face) payable to the Tennessee Department of Transportation (download Form Below).
- Include a copy of a notarized affidavit signed by the property owner stating permission has been given to erect a sign on their property. (Download Form Below).
- Include a copy of property owner’s recent property record from the Assessor of Property Office. If this record is available on line, a printout is acceptable.
- Include a map or a scale drawing on a separate piece of paper which shows the location of the proposed outdoor advertising device on private property. The map must show the means by which you will access your proposed outdoor advertising device without using the state right-of-way. It is mandatory to show the property lines and the State’s highway right-of way. The map will need to show cross roads or features that assist in finding the proposed outdoor advertising location.
- No faxes are acceptable in submitting your application packet.
- Mail materials to the following address: TDOT Beautification Office, Outdoor Advertising, Suite 400 James K. Polk Bldg., 505 Deaderick St., Nashville, TN 37243-0333.
The Rules and Regulations, application form and affidavit are below for down loading.
The requirements to upgrade an outdoor advertising sign face with an existing permit to a digital display are as follows:
- Provide a completed Addendum to the Outdoor Advertising Application Permit Form with a check or money order in the amount of $200.00 (an application for each sign face) payable to the Tennessee Department of Transportation. (Download Form Below)
- No faxes are acceptable in submitting your addendum permit application.
- And existing permit with a nonconforming or grandfathered nonconforming status is not eligible for a digital display upgrade.
For Information or if you have questions, please call Connie Gilliam at (615) 741.0805 or Latonja Coates fax your request to (615) 532.5995.