Skip to Content

Overweight/Overdimensional Permit Section

Tennessee Department of Transportation
Overweight & Overdimensional Permits
James K. Polk Bldg, Suite 300
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243
615.741.3821 (Voice) 615.741.1159 (Fax)
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday

The OW/OD Permits Section of the Tennessee Department of Transportation is responsible for prescribing rules in the interest of public safety and preservation of highways, for the issuance and or renewal of special permits for the transportation of such oversize, overweight, or overlength articles or commodities as cannot be reasonably dismantled or conveniently transported otherwise, and for the operation of such superheavy or overweight vehicles, motor trucks, semi-trailers and trailers, whose gross weight, including load, weight, height or length, may exceed statutory limits, or which in other respects fail to comply with requirements of the Tennessee Code Annotated, as may be reasonably necessary for the transportation of such oversize, overweight or overlength articles or commodities as cannot be reasonably dismantled or conveniently transported otherwise.

Statement of Necessity Requiring Public Necessity Rules
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

Vertical Clearances for the State of Tennessee
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

Overweight and Overdimensional Movements on Tennessee Highways
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

Tennessee Computerized Permit Issuance Services (CPI)

How To Obtain a Permit:

Additional Information That May Be Useful:

Commercial Vehicle Division
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 743-4990 Select Option 1

Business Hours: 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

Commercial Vehicle Scale Complexes:

Coffee County Scales – District 2
I-24 East, Mile Marker 115
(931) 723-5062

Greene County Scales – District 5
I-81 South, Mile Marker 21
(423) 235-4104

Giles County Scales – District 7
I-65 North, Mile Marker 5
(931) 468-9420

Haywood County Scales – District 4
I-40 West, Mile Marker 50
(731) 772-0812

Knox County Scales – District 1
I-40 East, Mile Marker 372
(865) 966-5071

Robertson County Scales – District 3
I-65 North, Mile Marker 119
(615) 325-0424
Overweight Assessments:

(615) 743-4990 Select Option 1
Fax: (615) 253-2280

Driver's License Issuance (CDL):

CDL skills tests can be scheduled for any of the Commercial Driver License Road Skills Test locations across the state by calling (615) 251-5217 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.

For questions regarding a CDL cancellation letter from TDOSHS due to an expired Medical card, please contact the Commercial Driver License (CDL) MedCert Section immediately at (615) 687-2312.

Motor Vehicle Report (MVR): (866) 903-7357

Tennessee Department of Revenue
Motor Carrier Section

301 Plus Park Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37217


(615) 399-4267
(888) 468-9025
Fax: (615) 361-8249

(615) 399-4265
(888) 826-3151
Fax: (615) 361-5924

(615) 399-4266
Fax: (615) 361-8249


72-Hour Trip Permit
An IRP 72-Hour trip permit is required prior to entering a jurisdiction for any vehicle
having a registration, but not registered or apportioned for a particular jurisdiction.
This permit allows both inter or intra movement in Tennessee.

Temporary Fuel Use Permit
A temporary fuel use permit is available to freight motor vehicles operated over the
highways of Tennessee on an occasional or infrequent basis. The permit may be
issued for a period of time not to exceed seven consecutive days and shall be valid
only for the particular vehicle entering Tennessee. In lieu of licensing under the
IFTA, person may elect to satisfy motor fuels use tax obligations on a trip-by-trip

Trip and Fuel Use Wire Service Companies
The fee for a Tennessee Trip and Fuel Use Permit is $30 per permit plus wire service
fees and are available through the following contractors:

Custom Permits – (800) 669-5014
Fleet One – (877) 251-7639
Highway Permits Company – (888) 731-0312
Interstate Permit Service – (800) 343-4889
JJ Keller & Associates – (800) 231-5266
Jet Permits Ltd. – (800) 788-0603
Nova Permits – (800) 567-7775
On The Move Permits, Inc. – (800) 750-9910
ProMiles Software Development Corporation (800) 324-8588
State Permits – (800) 331-4805
T-Chek System – (877) 237-2435
The Permit Company – (800) 874-5512
Tranceiver/Comdata – (800) 749-7107
Trans Mid-America – (800) 228-7577

Federal Government:

Internal Revenue Service – Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) – (800) 829-1040
Federal Department of Transportation (issuance of USDOT numbers) – (800) 832-5660 or (615)781-5781