- 33 retaining walls will be constructed along this section of US 27. The retaining walls will stabilize the steep slopes that were constructed in the 50s and also serve to minimize the need for additional right-of-way acquisition.
- Acceleration and deceleration lanes for the interchange ramps will be upgraded by lengthening the merge distance to and from the highway. With these improvements, traffic safety and efficiency through the area will be significantly better.
- The roadway bridges over Manufacturers Road, Manning Street, the Southern Railroad, Dayton Boulevard and Signal Mountain Boulevard will be reconstructed to the most current design standards. These new bridges will be wider and safer than the structures they will be replacing.
- The roadway alignment and grade near the Dayton Boulevard interchange will be improved to flatten the horizontal curve and also to remove much of the vertical dip in that section of roadway. This realignment will improve sight distance visibility, providing a safer “view-ahead” for motorists.
- New high-mast roadway lighting will be installed for better visibility.
- New TDOT SmartWay (traffic cameras) will be included.
Project Location Map (pdf)
Current and future status of the interchange ramps:
- The northbound entrance ramp to US-27/SR-29 from Manufacturers Road will close temporarily for several months to totally reconstruct the new interchange, adjacent retaining walls, drainage, and the extended acceleration lane. However, the northbound exit ramp from US-27/SR-29 at Manufacturers Road will remain open for the duration of the project.
- The Manning Street ramps will close permanently when the Manning Street bridge widening begins.
- The Whitehall Road ramp to Cherokee Boulevard will close permanently when the construction for the realignment of Whitehall Road and the adjacent retaining wall begins.
- The exit ramp to Dayton Boulevard will close temporarily when the existing bridge over Cherokee Boulevard is reconstructed. The interchange ramp will reopen when the bridge construction is completed.
- The exit ramp to Signal Mountain Boulevard will be detoured to a temporary exit ramp to allow reconstruction of the ramp bridge over Signal Mountain Boulevard. The ramp will reopen and traffic will be restored to an improved alignment when the bridge is complete.
- The Signal Mountain Boulevard entrance ramp to southbound US 27 will see some minor realignment of the existing traffic lanes but will remain open for the duration of the construction.
- The Dayton Boulevard entrance ramp will remain open, but traffic will be detoured to a temporary ramp during certain phases of construction.
- The Whitehall slip ramp to southbound US 27 has been closed and will not reopen.
- The Manning Street entrance and exit ramps have been closed and will not reopen.
- The Manufacturers Road ramps will be maintained for the life of construction.
NOTE: The above status and construction forecast for the access ramps throughout the project construction may change to some degree as the construction progresses. Every effort will be made to maintain traffic and avoid ramp closure until it is absolutely necessary.
Safety During Construction
During the three-year reconstruction, a vast amount of construction materials will be moved to various portions of the project. While this project is not any different from other highway and bridge construction projects, the close proximity to through traffic, narrowing of some lane widths, decreased access to local roads, etc., will be of special note to motorists. Changes to the landscape and surrounding structures will be dramatic. For everyone's safety, motorists are urged to be vigilant and concentrate on driving and not to watch the construction as they drive. Motorists need to observe all traffic control signs within the project limits, maintain the posted speed, and be alert for entering and exiting construction equipment. The Department's goal is to do whatever possible to keep accidents to a minimum. When completed, this section of US 27 will be a safer and more efficient for highway everyone.