I-40 Bridge over the French Broad River in Jefferson County
Re-decking and Rehabilitation
The main scope of work for this project consists of the following:
- Isolating and repairing structural members of the truss
- Replacing the existing rivets with high strength bolts
- Retrofitting the truss joints for seismic loading
- Replacement of the existing concrete deck with a lightweight concrete deck
Using a lightweight concrete deck will reduce the loading on the bridge by over 2,500 tons thus greatly increasing the load capacity of the bridge allowing for a new life expectancy of 30-40 more years. The sequence of construction activities are specific. The traffic control plan is:
- Reduce I-40 to one lane in each direction after the bulk of the repair work begins.
- The first phase of traffic control will shift traffic to the inside while work begins on the outside portions of the bridge.
- The second phase will shift traffic to the outside while work begins on the inside.
- Due to the design of this bridge in 1960, work can only be done on one side at a time to ensure the safety of the motoring public during construction. It will lengthen the schedule of the project.